Stretch marks are basically a white or a silver scar that normally happens on your skin. It happens because your skin is composed of elastin which can be thought of as a soft elastic tissue. It is soft, supple and stretchable.
These marks normally tend to appear when you exert extra pressure on your skin such as sudden weight gain or loss, pregnancy and even rapid growth of your body during teenage. To remove these stretch marks, you will generally have to be patient and takes much effort.
Some Home Remedies for Stretch Marks
Due to its acidic content and natural bleaching properties, lemon juice can be considered as one of the most effective remedies to heal stretch marks.
- Cut a lemon, squeeze out the juice and apply it gently onto the affected skin.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse off with a little warm water.
- Repeat this for a couple of more times each day.
Vegetable Oil Massage
There is a reason behind why Indian mothers are giving an oil bath or an oil massage following a childbirth. The oils generally used for them is coconut oil or castor oil or basically vegetable oil. The reason behind using vegetable oil for massage is because these have the property of moisturizing skin and smoothing out the wrinkles and stretch marks.
- Warm a little oil (olive oil, coconut oil, etc.) and massage it deep into the affected skin before going to bed.
- Rinse the next morning with a little warm water and a mild soap if necessary.
- When it comes to castor oil, the best way is to rub slightly warmed castor oil directly onto the affected skin and then wrap a cloth dipped in hot (but not uncomfortably so) water around the area.
The egg white is another potent household item that can help you get rid of the stretch marks. Since it is rich in protein, which is useful in dealing with stretch marks, you can use it as well.
- Collect the whites from two eggs, whip gently and apply as a thick layer onto the marks.
- Once the egg pack has totally dried, rinse it out with water and then moisturize the area by applying some olive oil.
Aloe Vera is a versatile plant and is also capable of treating stretch marks. Aloe vera, with its ability to heal the small tears in the skin layers is therefore the perfect solution to help regain the lost elasticity.
- Cut a leaf from the aloe plant, squeeze out the gel
- Massage the affected skin with it daily
- You could also combine aloe vera gel with vitamin E oil and use.
Potato juice contains vitamins and minerals that foster growth and restoration of skin cells.
- Cut a medium-sized potato into thick slices.
- Take one of the potato pieces and rub it gently on the stretch marks for a few minutes. Make sure the starch from the potato covers the affected area.
- Allow the potato juice to dry for some time and then wash it off with lukewarm water.