Irregular periods can occur occasionally for some, especially those who are trying to conceive. Here are 7 reasons for a irregular or missed period.
1. Stress: The body is a reflection of the mind and mental stress can create an imbalance of hormones in the body, resulting in irregular or a missed period. This condition known as secondary amenorrhea can be prevented by destressing from time to time.
2. Excessive Exercise: The menstrual cycle depends on the amount of fat in the body, and if you are burning it then it may be off track. Exercise also disrupts estrogen levels, which again leads to hormonal imbalance. To avoid this follow a healthy diet that include nuts, whole grain fibers and good fats. Also avoid smoking and alcohol.
3. Under/Overweight: Presence of excess fat cells can increase estrogen levels while lack of them decreases estrogen in the body causing delayed periods.
4. Thyroid Irregularity: The Thyroid gland plays an important role in metabolism, growth and maturation. Generally Hypothyroidism (low activity of thyroid gland) triggers ovulatory dysfunction in the female body.
5. Hormonal Imbalance: Polycystic Ovary Symptom (PCOS) is a condition that creates an imbalance in testosterone, estrogen and progesterone levels in the body. Symptoms include difficulty losing weight and hair growth on face and chest.
6. Birth Control: Most birth control pills have a combination of estrogen and progestin, hormones that disrupt the cycle to prevent pregnancy. Other forms like hormonal IUD’s, shots or implants may also trigger imbalance.
7. Miscalculation: Sometimes there might just be an error in your calculation. Women generally have a 28 day cycle while others may have a slightly longer or shorter cycle, which is normal.